Pages

Monday 13 July 2020

Poetry Monday: My Favourite Teacher . . . and Random Funnies

Blogger is acting up -- there are three different fonts in this post and I didn't do anything to make it that way and can't figure out how to easily fix it! I'm sorry about that; one of the fonts is much smaller and won't enlarge. Ah well, worse problems are probably in store when I switch to the new version .......

It's Poetry Monday, and this week's topic is ..... OUR FAVOURITE TEACHERS.

Join Diane, MotherOwl, Mimi, contributors in the comments, and me, as we immortalize our favourite teachers in poetry form.

You can leave your poem in the comments, or post on your own blog. If you do the latter, please leave a comment so we can find you.

Use the topic, or choose another. Write a poem yourself, or borrow one from someone else (with attribution, of course). The idea is to enjoy ourselves and work the ol' brain cells.

*****

Having said that, I'm going to give my brain cells a rest and re-purpose (ahem) a haiku I wrote a few weeks ago.

I wrote it to submit to a friendly competition as part of Fran Hill's book launch at her blog Being Me. Fran is a writer and English teacher in Warwickshire, England, as well as a blogger, and she has a wonderfully dry sense of humour.

This link will take you to her post about the haiku winners as well as the rest of the entries. There are a lot of fantastic little poems there that are well worth a read.

While you're there, you might also check out Fran's book which was the subject of that book launch. The title is "Miss, What Does Incomprehensible Mean?" and it sounds like a good read.

I've already written about My Favourite Teacher, here, and included the background which led to this poem.

In summary, my favourite teacher was Mrs. M, and she was my teacher from Primary to Grade Three in the tiny country school in our community. She was a good and kind person, a born teacher, and provided us with a wide range of experiences in art, cooking, music, and tactile play as well as our regular curriculum.

And she did it all while very crippled with rheumatoid arthritis. In those days there was no medicine that could help slow the progress of the disease, and not much in the way of pain relief either. Mrs. M drove a Volkswagon Beetle to school, used a cane to make her way painfully to her desk and rarely moved until the end of the day when she made the reverse trip to her car.

But I especially remember her car for another reason. For lunchtime, in the warm days of June at the end of the school year, Mrs. M sometimes took us to the provincial park just across the road from the school. She drove slowly on the dirt road that wound through the forested area of the park, all the way to the large grassy intervale with picnic tables, while we kids with our lunchboxes walked in a long line behind her like little birds following their mother.

It seems to me like a metaphor for the way she led us through the first important years of our schooling, helping us go places and enriching our lives.

My haiku is simply called "Teacher", the form of address we often used when asking questions.

I feel so lucky to have had her in my life.   

*****

Teacher

Chicks with mother hen
Stepping out into the world --
Watch, try, learn, grow, fly

*****

And we need some funnies to top off the day, don't we? I apologize if I repeat ones I've used already. I used to rename each meme on my computer to indicate that it had been used, a process which was fairly time-consuming, and eventually I fell out of the habit. Oops. Now I can't remember which ones I used and which ones I didn't.That's kind of how my organizational habits in other areas of my life fall into disarray also. 

But that's a whole other topic, which just might make its way into Poetry Monday one of these days :)

Here we go, with no particular topic and in no particular order:





















































































*****

Wishing you a week of pleasant memories and funny moments to enjoy.

In the meantime, who was your favourite teacher? Or did you have a difficult school life, like some of the other haiku writers on Fran's blog?

Next week's topic will be ........... ANTS ..........

Thanks for the idea, Red -- my fellow Canadian, found at Hiawatha House!



43 comments:

dinthebeast said...

Your grades are good enough for honors English
My sister said.
Take Mr. Miller's fantasy and satire class
My sister said.
Diane still has her study questions and you can use them
My sister said
The first day of class, at the very beginning
You said you didn't like sophomores and asked us to leave
Bill and I took it for the challenge you knew it was.
That challenge is one of the reasons
I wrote this poem anyway
Even though I am linking to Taylor Mali:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmVi6XjvkMU

-Doug in Sugar Pine

jenny_o said...

So excellent, Doug - both your poem and that YouTube video. Thank you!!

Bonnie said...

I loved reading your memories of your special teacher. She did indeed sound very special. All of the funnies are great, but you know I'm partial to the cats!

Elephant's Child said...

I had two favourite teachers. The first Mrs Thompson taught library. Some students didn't like that class. I loved it.
The second teacher confirmed my love of the English language. Both of them died last year and I mourned.
And thank you for the funnies. Sigh at the animals who can detect pills hidden in treats. I have bled for that knowledge.

The Happy Whisk said...

I love, love, love the dog that knows there is a pill. Too funny.

River said...

I had two favourite teachers. In primary school there was Mrs M and in high school there was Mr M, same name but not at all related.

LL Cool Joe said...

Love the description of your favourite teacher. I can picture her in my head now.

The Baby changing station cracked me up. If only. And I can relate to looking in the mirror saying you love your hair when inside you hate it!

Anonymous said...

I think we all have memories of special teachers and your Mrs M seems rather special.

I am sure your haiku follows the rules, but I like rhyming poetry.

So much amusement from animals and the first one and the cat 'owned' by three people attending a barbeque are the best for me.

Marie Smith said...

I had many excellent teachers. Loved them all. My favourite was probably Sister Matthew, no, Mrs Gillespie, no, Mr. Murphy,...and on and on...

Love your poem. How true!

baili said...

I totally dislike being late for reading your post dear Jenny

Writing this comment through youngest son"s tablet so sorry for any probable mistakes

I love learning about memories of different people because i love to share mine too
I enjoyed reading this. Found these lovely memories bit sad as you painted your teacher so poignantly

How fascinating that love wins all the battles eventually
Her devotion to her job and love for her pupils planted seed of love and goodness within innocent soft soils
Thank you for sharing about her she must be an inspiration for all who knew her

It's okay to repeat funnies though i didn't find any of these familiar but only Hilarious :)
Love and hugs

Charlotte (MotherOwl) said...

I'm struggling with the poem, but thanks for the funnies. The goats with pool noodles had me spluttering - lesson learned. Don't drink tea while reading Jenny_o's Blog ;)

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

That was a very good haiku, Jenny. Your story of your teacher was lovely and how wonderful that you still have that sweet memory of a teacher who loved her job and her students.

I went to Catholic school back in the Dark Ages where the nuns had to deal with 50+ kids in class. To have order they used humiliation to keep students in line. Praise was limited to their very favorite smart kids. Some, though, were excellent teachers and wanted the best for all students. From them, I learned and all in all, I got an excellent education, but have some wounds that have stayed with me. However, I have used those wounds in positive ways to become the person I am. We learn from the good and bad.

Don’ worry about reposting funnies. We get to enjoy them twice and that is a good thing.

37paddington said...

What a beautiful tribute to a special and extraordinary teacher. We never forget the good ones. I write today because of a good one. Mrs. Gray. Grade four.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

MY FAVOURITE TEACHER

I see him everywhere
Staring at me from mirrors
Or reflected in shop windows
His shadow clings to me
Like a Siamese twin
When I look into his eyes
I realise that I hardly know him
Yet I remember everything
The countless times he stood there
In schools with rules
Delivering syllabi
Looking from classroom windows
At the changing seasons
Considering the reasons
He was born to teach.

jenny_o said...

Glad you enjoyed them - I'm partial to the cats, too :)

jenny_o said...

I can well imagine the bleeding, EC :) And I'm sorry for the loss of two great influences in your life. I wish I could have told Mrs. M how much she meant in my life, but I was fairly young when she died. Instead, I put it out to the universe. Just in case, you know.

jenny_o said...

He is so glum! lol

jenny_o said...

It's good to have as many favourite teachers as possible. Kind of a coincidence that they had the same last name, huh?

jenny_o said...

Hah!! I would like to be so well-mannered that my true feelings of horror didn't immediately show on my face :D

jenny_o said...

*makes note of Andrew's poetry preference* ... :)

I'm glad you liked the 3-owner cat meme - I thought it was hilarious.

jenny_o said...

The more favourites, the better, Marie!

jenny_o said...

I do feel a bit sad when I think back to that teacher, baili. I didn't realize how much pain she was in at the time I was her student. I would like to go back and tell her how much she influenced me, how much I appreciated her teaching, and how thankful I am to have begun my education in her classroom.

Hugs to you, dear friend.

jenny_o said...

Ha ha - sorry! I'm so glad you enjoyed that one!

We don't have to write a poem every week. This is supposed to be a fun challenge, not a hardship :)

jenny_o said...

That is a wonderful attitude to have about turning bad to good, Arleen. I'm sure large classes made it harder for teachers with a certain temperament to deal with their classes. But the truly good ones managed, didn't they?

We used to tell our kids, in the years they had a teacher that they didn't like (and often we were of the same opinion) - you don't have to like them, you have to learn from them. And one of the things you learn is how you don't want to treat others.

jenny_o said...

I'd love to hear the story behind this comment, 37p. Maybe you will post about her sometime.

jenny_o said...

Thank you for contributing today, YP.

Joanne Noragon said...

Most of them were favorites.
Pool noodles...serves 'em right.

Diane Stringam Tolley said...

PERFECT poem, Jenny!
And those funnies had me laughing so hard Husby came to see what he was missing! ;)

Diane Stringam Tolley said...

Ohmyword, yes! Brilliant!

messymimi said...

Your first teacher sounds like one we need to clone and put in every school everywhere.

Loved the funnies, thanks!

Charlotte (MotherOwl) said...

It is fun - or at least challenging, which for me is a kind of fun as well. This time I was just over-thinking it - trying to make a poem worthy of my favourite teacher. But to do this, I'd need the skills of Homer or some such giant. Which I have not, My humble trying have to suffice.

SpikesBestMate said...

I envy you your skill at writing haikus, Jenny. And such a nice sentiment. I love this week's Funnies, especially the workity work cat's face. I'm sorry my poem is a bit late, due to the links, Jenny. They distracted me for a couple of hours! Here's my effort:

Teachers come in different guises
Some give detentions, some help you win prizes.

I had a Maths teacher - let’s call her ‘Miss G' -
She was elderly, beaky, as plain as could be
With a humped back and glasses, grey hair in a bun
She’d bellow and stamp over homework not done.
She’d explain an equation, demonstrate on the board
Then set us to work - no time to be bored.

As she marched down the aisles between desks she would look
Over your shoulder at work undertook.
When she spotted an error she’d sit on your seat
And go over each line and make you repeat
Your method and workings until it was found
And quiz you on points you did not understand.

I was hopeless at Maths, the bane of her life,
We regarded each other as Trouble and Strife
But she never gave up; would not let me give in
She would grill me and drill me, her patience worn thin.

The Big Day arrived - my final grades letter
Showed the results could not have been better.
Not an F, nor an E, nor a D - but a C!
That mid-way grade was pure gold to me.

No time to lose, I set off at a run
To find Miss G, the crone with grey bun.
I raced to her room and just as I reached her
I yelled "Miss G - You’re my Favourite Teacher!"

You see, teachers come in different guises
Some pass you over; some help you win prizes.

jenny_o said...

A clever solution, eh?

jenny_o said...

Oh, good!

jenny_o said...

Indeed, Mimi!

jenny_o said...

Oh, how I love this one, SBM - the ending makes me tear up. Miss G cared that you understood and learned, and that makes her a very special teacher in my book. Excellent :)

Mr. Shife said...

I loved the memories you had of your favorite teacher. She sounds like a wonderful woman. I enjoyed your meme parade as usual but the goats with the pool noodles was the winner in my book. Have a great week.

Diane Henders said...

Mrs. M. was a very special teacher indeed! I was lucky to have several wonderful teachers, from the ones I adored and hero-worshipped in the early grades; to a Grade 10 chemistry, physics, and math teacher who effortlessly explained everything in ways that made perfect sense; to the Grade 12 English teacher who started me on the path to writing - the most rewarding career ever! How could I ever thank them all enough?

And thanks for the funnies - the "pool noodle goats" made me laugh out loud!

jenny_o said...

The goats seem popular - and to think I almost didn't include it - hah

jenny_o said...

Those goats are more popular than I expected! And yes, I'm sure good teachers have not been thanked enough. And by the time we realize it, it's often too late.

Mr. Shife said...

Have you ever heard of packing goats? I learned about them recently.

jenny_o said...

I had to look that up, Mr. S. Amazing! Are you going to get a couple for your family hikes??

Haddock said...

We all have that one favourite teacher don't we. I too have one and remember everything about her except her name !!!!