Pages

Friday 15 June 2018

Wobbly Twins

In the grey dawn of early morning on Thursday, we noticed three visitors to our back yard: a pair of fawns and their mama. They were in a private corner next to the neighbour's solid high fence, under the low hanging branches of the trees near our compost pile.

We wondered if they had perhaps arrived as one visitor only -- a pregnant mama. I've seen newborn colts and a newborn giraffe (by giraffe cam), and I know how quickly they are able to get up and stagger around.

These babies were wobbly, still, on their impossibly long and skinny stilt-legs, and when they laid down they curled into equally impossibly small bundles of brown, dotted with white spots.

Two of nature's miracles.

No pictures because I didn't want to disturb them or their mother.

But each one looked much like this:


(Photo: Pixabay)




After about a half hour, mama and babies started moving slowly away through the trees, and when I dared to sneak a peek later in the day, they were gone. Despite our town's ban on feeding deer, I set out a small container of bird seed and another with pieces of carrot and apple. Let the local officials fine me if they wish . . . I remember how it felt to be a new mother.

The temperature today was an unseasonably cold 9C (48F) all day long, with rain drizzling down, broken only by a brief roll of thunder and a massive downpour in mid-afternoon.

I couldn't help but think of those babies all day. And all evening.

I hope they survive the cold, inhospitable elements.

And I hope they come back.

*****

Hope your weekend brings you a couple of nice surprises :)

I'll return on Poetry Monday, with the theme "Garden Gnome" . . . I'm looking forward to this one!

*****

Tell me something wonderful you've seen lately. I'm all ears, kind of like the fawn above, only more figuratively and less literally :)







26 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Awww.
What a wonderful experience.
I too hope they come back. And thank you for recognising that the challenges of motherhood transcend species.

River said...

I think you are right, the twins are probably newborn and I would have put out some food too, in case the hungry mother comes back. Do baby deer eat food right away or just milk at first?

Marie Smith said...

What a great scene to wake up to! I was excited to see a robin in a nest under the patio, so I don’t know how I’d handle those three. I’d leave food though, for sure. I hope they return!

Red said...

You saw something that few people ever see. I've seen young fawns but not that young. New born animals are amazing as they stand up minutes after they are born.

jenny_o said...

I think they were back last night, EC. *Something* was crying in the brush off and on most of the night; the cry was a cross between a bleat and a bawl. I had a look this morning and couldn't see anything, so they seem to be gone again. Thank goodness it has warmed up today.

jenny_o said...

Google says they nurse for the first two weeks and then gradually wean to forage plants. Google also says they are four to eight pounds when born. So I'm wondering if these were really newborn or not. They didn't look interested in hopping on the bathroom scale (nor did their mother) for us to check!

jenny_o said...

I'd be excited by the robin too! Birds grow so fast, it's amazing. See my reply to Elephant's Child about their activities last night :)

jenny_o said...

Amazing is right - it's hard for us humans to relate, as our babies are helpless for so long!

crafty cat corner said...

How I would have loved to see those two little things. Good for you putting a little food out for them, just do a recce before you do to make sure nobody is looking, lol
I do hope they come back and you can get some pics.
Briony
x

jenny_o said...

Our yard is very secluded, so I think I'm safe - ha ha! I would love to get some pictures :)

Janie Junebug said...

Babies are the best.

Love,
Janie

Joanne Noragon said...

God speed.

jenny_o said...

Aren't they, though? :)

jenny_o said...

Yes!

dinthebeast said...

Fawns are strange. If you look at one just standing there, it really stands out, what with the white spots and stripes all over it, but the minute it lies down in the brown grass, it disappears.
I was walking through a clearing in the forest once and very nearly stepped on one curled up in the grass.
I don't know when they lose the white striping and spots, but they are an oddly effective bit of camouflage.

-Doug in Oakland

Chickens Consigliere said...

ohhh-Garden Gnomes-that's a good one! I would have been thinking of those deer, too, Donkey. I joke that I can't ever have an animal farm because every time it rains or snows, I'd be bringing all the farm animals into the house with me. I think I could handle a veggie and fruit farm.

Steve Reed said...

Adorable, and good for you for setting out some food. Deer are pretty adept at survival!

jenny_o said...

You're right. I guess nature knows what works :)

jenny_o said...

I get that completely! I had to keep telling myself that what would be, would be. But it was still yanking on my heart.

jenny_o said...

Yes, they've survived for a long time without us, haven't they? :)

Cherie said...

What a wonderful thing to see. I would have put some food out too.

jenny_o said...

It was amazing! I haven't seen them since, but keep checking :)

LL Cool Joe said...

We have a family of deer in our back garden, as beautiful as they are, they sure do a lot of damage to the trees!

We also have a family of foxes too, and as cruel as it sounds they are doing quite a good job of keeping the rabbits down.

jenny_o said...

Nature, eh? Everybody has to eat!

Diane Henders said...

Your fawns sound adorable! It's truly a miracle how quickly they're able to get up and follow their mother. (I've often thought human development should have taken a page out of that book.) ;-)

jenny_o said...

Ha ha! That would sure make child-rearing easier!