Pages

Monday 4 June 2018

Poetry Monday: Trees

It's Poetry Monday!

Join Diane, Delores and me as we offer our thoughts on this week's topic, "trees." Are you interested in joining us? If so, leave a poem in the comments, or post on your own blog and leave a comment to tell us how to find you. You don't need to use the suggested topic; a poem of any kind is welcome. As you will see in a moment, my poem is only tangentially related to trees.

* * * * *

I've been having some trouble with bird identification, as you may have noticed from my previous post.

As pointed out by Red (who blogs at Hiawatha House and is an advanced-skills birder), even the same bird can look different depending on its age, the time of year, and whether it's a male or a female. I think you must need to have a prodigious memory to be able to store all that in your head for every bird you are likely to see in your area. Maybe that's why they make field guides. You think?

Anyway. I started wondering whether birds would have the same trouble identifying people. It has been documented that crows can distinguish among individuals and even teach their offspring which people have treated them poorly or well, even when their offspring have not previously been in contact with those people. That's amazing, isn't it?

But surely there must be a whole other segment of the bird population that can't tell us apart: birds that think all short people must be children, all greyhaired people look alike, and all colourful dressers must be males (because Hello, in the bird world that's how things are).

I picture the conversation in the trees going something like this. I hope I've got the quotation marks and quotes-within-quotes properly done; it's been close to half a century since I studied this stuff.

*****

Tree Talk

Henry and his Henrietta live up in a tree,
On a branch in a nest with their baby birdies three,
Looking at the Two-Leggers upon the ground below,
Making idle conversation. This is how it goes:

"Look, Riette," says Henry, "at the little person there,
"Is that a baby human, the roundish one with light brown hair?"
Henrietta squints her eyes and tips her head a bit.
"D'you mean the one with grey streaks or the one having the fit?"

"I mean the one that's shrieking and making all the noise,
"And running up and down the yard and playing with those toys."
Riette says, "Oh, you mean the one that's smaller than the others?
I think that it's a youngster, though it could be a grandmother."

She says, "I just don't know, dear; it's so very hard to tell
"The differences 'tween mom and tot and grandma . . .(sigh) . . . oh, well . . ."
But Henry's a persistent guy and wants to sort it out.
"I've heard that babies wear short pants and often have a pout,

"But all those people on the ground are in short pants today,
"And all of them have scrunched-up little faces. Oh, I say!
"I wish they would be still and let me have a real good look!"
Henrietta sighs again, and reaches for a book.

It's called "The People Watchers Guide"; a glossy new edition;
It's full of people pictures and quick tips on recognition.
If birds are having trouble it will help them recognize
People in their neighbourhood by habits, clothes, and size.

Reading from the volume, Henrietta says, " 'The girls
"Paint their nails and faces and they wear their hair in curls.
"Their clothing is quite flashy and they like to scream a lot.
"They always wear the colour pink; they mince, they do not walk.

"And, as for boys, they are the ones who throw the sticks and stones
"And eat the worms' -- hey, just like us! -- 'and often break their bones.
"They're smelly and they cuss a lot and like to dress in blue;
"They grunt and fart and tease their sibs' -- that's what it says boys do." 

Riette continues reading from the Guide held in her wings,
" 'Now these are not definitive, they're only general things.
"In fact, in half of cases, the opposing facts are true:
"The boys are kind; the girls like worms; and both like Pale Ecru.

"And size can be a guide to age, but foolproof it is not;
"Some juveniles can get so tall, while others stay so squat.
"Behavior offers clues to age, but once again, we say,
"Adults can act like kids -- or it can go the other way.

"The thing you must remember when identifying folks:
"The things they have in common are: they don't hatch out from yolks;
"The parents do not sit upon them snug within a nest;
"And none of them have feathers or a beak or tail or crest.' "

Henrietta slowly shuts The People Watchers Guide;
She knows by Henry's vacant eyes her sweetie's brain is fried.
In fact she doesn't think she feels so awfully well herself.
She shakes her head and puts the book away upon the shelf.

The trio on the grass beneath are surely entertaining,
But trying to identify those specimens is draining.
Henry and Riette are happy just to watch the show.
Besides, it's nearly mealtime at the Bird Buffet below.

*****



Henry and Henrietta's brood: Meet Henny, Honey, and Heiney. Pretend they're being fed bird seed, okay? (Photo: Pixabay)





*****

Okay, that went a lot longer than I planned. Thank you for sticking around to the end. Sometimes you get trapped in the middle of a poem, you know? And the vines grow up around you as you're tromping around and before you know it you're stuck in there with no machete and only a bunch of words to get you out. Frankly, I feel lucky to have escaped at all!!


Update: The theme for next week is "positivity" . . .




35 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Smiling broadly. And applauding. Loudly.
While wondering how Henrietta would interpret a mohawk...

River said...

I have to admit I skipped over a lot of it because I am rather tired, but I got the gist and I can read it again tomorrow.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

In the British cities of Edinburgh, Newcastle and Sheffield, councils have been felling hundreds of street trees - claiming, misleadingly, that they are diseased or troublesome in other ways. In reality, it's all about reducing arboreal maintenance costs. Especially here in Sheffield, there has been much public protest about the felling of our trees. My main supportive contribution was a poem that appeared in our local newspaper - "The Star". I shared it in a blogpost last year but given your theme for this week, here it is again:-

City of Trees

From above, the city looked green
So many trees - such a marvellous scene
Trees to filter the fumes from the air,
Arboreal beauty everywhere.
Our City of Steel was a City of Trees
With songbirds hidden amongst the leaves
Then Amey arrived with their corporate silence
Basing decisions on pseudo-science.
To pollard or prune would reduce their profit
Though tax paying Sheffielders cried “Come off it!”
The vandals arrived in the early morning
Dressed in hard hats without any warning
With safety glasses that hid their eyes
And Hi-Viz hoodies to complete the disguise.
On their backs they’d stamped “Streets Ahead”
But surely this legend should have read
Something different like “Streets Behind”
For such was the vision they had in mind
A city of saplings and wooden stakes too
Bashed into our streets where giants once grew.

only slightly confused said...

Terrific.....those poor confused birds. We should all wear labels for their benefit.

Red said...

Awesome poem with a good sense of humor that pokes fun at ourselves. Now, could I have permission to get a copy of this poem and give it to my bird watching group some sat morning?

Martha said...

HAHA! That was amazing! This is definitely one of my favourites :)

Steve Reed said...

Well, that's an interesting idea -- people-watching from a bird's perspective! Bird identification can be difficult. I'm always impressed at people who can do it by sound alone -- I'm not good with birdsongs at all.

jenny_o said...

Thank you, EC! And you're right, a mohawk is very similar to a crest, isn't it?! I thought about that but I needed a word to rhyme with nest!

jenny_o said...

I know it was VERY long, River - thanks for giving it a try!

jenny_o said...

Very appropriate for the theme, YP. Thanks for contributing.

jenny_o said...

Hah! That's a thought!

jenny_o said...

Sure, Red; that's a lovely compliment! You can just copy/paste it from the post into a Word document or whatever program you use. If you prefer for me to send you a copy by email, let me know in a comment.

jenny_o said...

Thanks, Martha - your "mowing the cat" post in Miniaturopolis was MY favourite! So funny :)

jenny_o said...

I'm not good at the songs either, although that cardinal that's been coming to our yard has a very unique song and I do know that one! ha ha

37paddington said...

I love it. What a great way to approach the subject of trees, and to turn the generalizations of species identifications on humans. Brava!

jenny_o said...

Thank you for wading through it, Angela :)

Anonymous said...

Hello Jenny, I admired your version of the birds 'human watching' and the humour you showed in their assessment of us.

I'm afraid I'm not participating this week as I've had another bad few days, so my thoughts were elsewhere.

Have a good week.

Joan (Devon)

Janie Junebug said...

I have a bit of verse at the beginning of my most recent post. Yours is better, but at least mine has balls.

Love,
Janie

Marie Smith said...

Wonderful poem. Great idea to turn the tables like you did. Love it!

dinthebeast said...

Love your poem. I've known birds that could tell people apart, especially people who sometimes fed them...
Briana once met Bobby Seale, the Black Panther, and his daughter, when she was working a job that canvassed neighborhoods.
He was very kind, and invited them in for a chat, which Briana immediately bailed off of the job to accept, because it's not every day that you get a chance to chat with Bobby Seale.
Or his daughter, who had a project at the time that she called "Urban Releaf" that among other things, planted trees in urban neighborhoods.
Her contention was that sometimes the difference between a neighborhood and a ghetto is trees growing there.

-Doug in Oakland

jenny_o said...

I'm sorry to hear that, Joan. I hope things improve for you very soon.

jenny_o said...

Ha ha! Yes, many balls :)

jenny_o said...

Thank you, Marie!

jenny_o said...

People NEED trees, and all the little things that live in them. Period.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

The birds are right; humans are a curious lot.

Anonymous said...

beautiful poem! I was surprised to know about the crow:)
Again we need to be careful with bird lol!!

kylie said...

She knows by Henry's vacant eyes her sweetie's brain is fried.
I imagine this was one of the easier lines to write but I love it the most. I think it's just relatable.

Diane Stringam Tolley said...

Absolutely adorable! Loved it from start to finish. I'm glad you got caught up in it. I got caught up in it as well!
I tried and tried to fix yesterday's post. Even deleted it and started again. I think there must be a virus in my Word program because it just did the same things again. Sigh. Our topic for next week is positive-ity. Or something equally 'up'! :)

Diane Stringam Tolley said...

Yes. Thinking of you, Joan!

jenny_o said...

We really are :)

jenny_o said...

LOL - you're right!

jenny_o said...

That's true!

jenny_o said...

Oh, I so hope you can get the problem ironed out. I don't do well with computer problems; they are so frustrating!

baili said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i mean what wonderful job dear Jenny you have done here !!!

the way you narrated the GOSSIP of birds is thoroughly amusing :)))

you painted this talking family sooo brilliantly as i was near them on other branch and hearing them with smile

it sounds weather 's pleasant change is making your head work in it's genuine way my dear friend!

Hugs!

jenny_o said...

Thank you for such wonderful compliments, baili -- you always have lovely ways of expressing yourself! This poem took awhile to write but it came out all right in the end, although quite long :)