Pages

Monday 20 April 2020

Poetry Monday: My Favourite Snack . . . and Funnies

Welcome back, people. It's Poetry Monday, and this week's topic is ..... MY FAVOURITE SNACK.

Join Diane, MotherOwl, Mimi and me as we dish up some more good eating. You can post your poem in the comments or on your own blog; if you do the latter, please leave a note in the comments so we can find you and applaud your work.

Use the topic or choose another -- it's all good. The idea is to work our brains and have some fun.

*****

At first, it was hard for me to pick a favourite snack. There are so many healthy -- and unhealthy -- candidates.  Bagels, grapes and cheese, cereal, even a baked potato, fall into the healthy category of things I snack on. Potato chips, baked goodies, chocolate and sweets, while they are very pleasing to the tastebuds, sadly do not.

But when I asked myself what I wouldn't want to do without for even one day, the answer came to me loud and clear: peanut butter and banana.

Peanut butter alone is too sticky and tastes harsh to me. Banana alone is too astringent and . . . banana-y.

But together, they are a slice of heaven ... to me, anyway. I know people who gag at the thought. And others who understand completely.

I also know folks who meditatively slice their banana and dish up their pb, put it all on a plate and eat it daintily with a fork.

I am not one of those folks. This is why we have two hands, people! Half a banana in one hand, with the peeling gradually descending, and a spoonful of peanut butter in the other hand. A bite from the left hand, a lick from the right hand, repeat, repeat, repeat! (Lefties might want to switch hands 😛) 



*****

My Favourite Snack And A Terrible Rhyme

Some folks like their peanut butter onto celery spread
While others like it thickly piled atop their favourite bread
And then there are the ones who have their p.b. bread with honey
And ones who add molasses even though it's awfully runny
Bacon goes with peanut butter, so I have been told
Although I'll never try it, who am I to be a scold?
Another combination which I've seen but never tried
Is peanut butter added to a dish that's been stir-fried
The ultimate in combos (though it's hardly healthy food)
Is chocolate-peanut-butter cups -- oh my! those things are good 
But I'm content to make my snack from p.b. and banana
It's yummy and I hope it adds some years to my lifespana

If you're a fan of odd peanut butter combinations, go here for more ideas. And tell me about your own favourite way to eat it -- if you eat it at all.

*****

And shall we have a few funnies to round out our snack?


































































*****

Hope you're staying well and happy and enjoying some of your favourite snacks.

Next week's topic is ..... BIRDS.

Good luck!




23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good one. I now have a strange mental image of you with a banana in one hand and peanut butter in the other. Best image for me was, We are from tech support....

dinthebeast said...

In the impoverished winter of 1989 when we were living off food from the local food pantry and other various sources of cheap or free calories, my friend Jack took what he had managed to scrounge one day and made soup, as he often did.
This one time, however, what he made was peanut butter, pumpkin, and bean soup. Most of my housemates were appalled, which I found fortunate as I quite liked it.
How much of my affection for it came from my hunger level I'm not sure, and I've never been tempted to try recreating it...
As for snacks, these days I'm rather fond of four cheese flavor Cheez Its, and the occasional cheese melted on a small flour tortilla with a slice of smoked turkey lunch meat rolled up into it.
The mustard on the cat tail is hilarious, and why do they call them cat tails, anyway? They look nothing like any tail I've ever seen on any cat...

-Doug in Sugar Pine

River said...

If you are finding bananas too astringent perhaps you are eating them too green. a properly ripened banana has yellow skin with a smattering of brown freckles, at that point they are soft and sweet and can be mashed as baby food. Bananas with more brown on the skin can be baked into banana cake recipes, or banana bread.
I like peanut butter with celery sticks, but recently broke a tooth and can't be eating crunchy things until I see a dentist and of course they are all closed now because of the virus.

Elephant's Child said...

Love the funnies.
I prefer my peanut butter (which has to be crunchy) without banana.
And speaking of banana, a friend was travelling in India. He was dubious about the food, so bought bananas and bread. We all said banana sandwich is GOOD (though we also love Indian food). He was appalled. You eat FRUIT sandwich?

Bonnie said...

I enjoyed your fun peanut butter poem! I like peanut butter with jelly or honey in a sandwich but that's fairly boring. When I was little my brother and I would mix peanut butter with maple syrup and spread it on toast - yum! My favorite snack food would be ice cream but I can't eat it too often as it doesn't always like me.

The funnies are great - I love the mixed nut one! And of course I always love the cats. ; ) Take care!

Charlotte (MotherOwl) said...

Thank you for Birds. Peanut butter is no favourite of mine, I think it is an acquired taste like the salty licorice we enjoy in Denmark ;)

Chickens Consigliere said...

Banana and peanut butter is a regular snack in the chicken house. Some people, not me, even prefer peanut butter and chocolate chip sandwiches to just about any other kind of sandwich. I am divided as to the health value of this combination. My favorite snack, the one I would hate to do without, is cheese and crackers. Any cheese, any cracker, any time.

Marie Smith said...

Jenny, I haven’t been able to get the tragedy in Nova Scotia out of my mind this morning. I am so sorry for the huge loss of life under such tragic circumstances in your beautiful, peaceful province!

SpikesBestMate said...

Haha! I love that last line. I don't think I've ever had peanut butter. The look of it is off-putting so I've never been tempted to buy it. But I do love a banana, especially in a banana and strawberry jam sandwich. Here's my little effort:

What a challenge!
I’ll give it a crack
But it’s hard to decide
On my favourite snack.
There’s so much to choose from
Heaven knows -
Will it be crisps or Orios?

Biscuits or chocolate?
An apple or pear?
A BLT sandwich?
Or perhaps an eclair?
(I do love my cake
As you already know,
But is cake a snack?
- I hardly think so.)

I’ve wrestled and tussled
- this prompt is a tease!
But when all is considered
I’m opting for - Cheeese!

only slightly confused said...

the husband used to make himself peant butter/bologna/mayo sandwiches.....grossed me out.

Steve Reed said...

Peanut butter and banana always reminds me of Elvis. But I think he put bacon with his, too...?!

Diane Stringam Tolley said...

Hahahahaha! Peanut butter definitely adds to my lifespana! I love peanut butter and banana. Or Nutella and banana.
My go-to snack? Almost anything edible. Or nearly edible. Heck. You put chocolate on a hubcap, I'd eat it!
Love the funnies. And peesha. Love me some peesah!

Diane Stringam Tolley said...

Yay! Cheese is my go-to as well!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I am sure we were all picturing you eating your banana and peanut butter. I am not too well coordinated and I would find that confusing. I might take two peanut butter licks and throw the whole thing out of wack. Again, I am not coordinated mentally and physically.

I have made a peanut butter stir fry sauce and it is very good. Try it, you will like it.

messymimi said...

Excellent poem! Have you tried a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich the way Elvis liked them? Heart attack on a plate but so good.

Joanne Noragon said...

Crunchy Peanut butter and apples. Nirvana. Note I went back and corrected the sentence's first word.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny, it’s me, Chicken. Just read Marie’s comment below and read about it online. It’s terrible. Thinking of you.XO

Mr. Shife said...

Peanut butter and chocolate is one of my favorite combos. Especially when we put the peanut butter cups in the freezer. Yummers. Tech support and the mixed nut meme were my favorites. And I hope you know that you wishing me a happy birthday is a gift enough. I feel extremely fortunate to have a great group of blogging friends and that support alone is the best gift.

Diane Henders said...

The "corndogs" made me LOL (and so did the punchline of your poem)! I eat peanut butter nearly every single day - YUM! Usually it's on hot toast so it gets nice and melty, but I'm also a huge fan of chocolate-peanut-butter ice cream, Reese's peanut butter cups, Thai salad rolls with peanut sauce, etc, etc. If it's got peanut butter in it, I'm in!

Also: Easy and delicious 3-ingredient gluten-free peanut butter cookies...
1 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
Mix, roll into balls and flatten with a fork, and bake at 350F. (The original recipe had 1 cup of sugar, but I found it a bit too sweet.)

River said...

Try peanut butter and Nutella together.

The Happy Whisk said...

I love peanut butter and banana! Even in a homemade ice cream too. So yummy. Fun poem. Happy New Day!

Martha said...

HAHA! I always enjoy your funny images. I got a good laugh with the rat eating popcorn and watching a movie. Very cute. I only started loving peanut butter in the last few years when I began eating the natural type. So delicious! I like adding a bit of honey on top. Slices of banana or other fruit...that works well, too! And dates. Oh my gosh, it goes really well with dates!

LL Cool Joe said...

Haha although all the memes were really funny, the sentence that made me laugh the most was "It's yummy and I hope it adds some years to my lifespana". I haven't eaten peanut butter for years, but at the moment I'm eating just about everything else I can find.