Pages

Friday 16 August 2024

Miscellaneous Update and Other Things

So often I feel like I post about a topic and then completely forget to follow up with what happened next.

So, a few updates on recent posts:

- The Samoyed husky I was worried about disappeared from the front yard of its house two days after I made the complaint to the SPCA. It reappeared a day later, for one day only. Then not only did it disappear again, its leash and bowl that were always by the front door were gone as well. At the same time, I started seeing a Samoyed being walked in the nearby neighbourhood. I have never seen another dog of this breed in this area before. This new Samoyed has a haircut but looks about the same age. Is it the same dog? It's possible. Or the original might have been simply relegated to the back yard instead of the front yard. The back yard is completely enclosed with a high wooden fence, so I have no way of knowing by simply looking. I would need to follow up on my complaint to the SPCA, or stop my car and ask the dog walking people about the dog's history, neither of which I am keen to do because I am a spineless excuse for a person. And I can't take any more stress right now. If the dog is still with the original family  and has been in the breeze-less back yard during our several severe heat waves, I don't think I can handle knowing that. I prefer to cover my eyes and ears and hope he is living his best life with a different family now. Maybe some day soon I will gather up my courage and try to find out. Not today. Not yet.

- As I just said, we have had a couple more heat waves. Man, I detest looking up the weather forecast and seeing that blazing red banner across the screen that warns us of impending hot and humid weather! I can't function in the heat/humidity, so the gardening goes undone, even household chores go undone, while I huddle in my house or scurry to the air-conditioned grocery store and back for necessities. The nights are starting to feel fall-ish now and it feels like I have wasted summer.

- My mother is still unhappy at the nursing home. Every second sentence in her conversation is a variation on the theme of "going home". However, I have a new perspective on that which is helping me cope with my guilt that I placed her there. At an Alzheimers support group meeting, the facilitator mused that from everything I'd told them it seemed like my mother wasn't a very happy person. It took me by surprise, because (1) I'd never thought about it that way before, and (2) if I had been asked, I'd have said she seemed like . . . well, not a happy person, but a contented person . . . and I realize now that she was only contented as long as she was doing what she wanted, when she wanted, with the people she wanted . . . and that is not the same as being a happy person, is it? It blew my mind a little. At heart, my mom is not a happy or cheerful person. She would not be happy if the nursing home accommodations were absolutely opulent. She would not be happy if she was living with me, either. When she had to stay with me during storms or power outages, she became restless and wanted to go home after a few hours. What she does want is to be at her own home, doing what she wants, when she wants, etc., but because of the dementia she can't understand how she was only able to do that due to the scaffolding of assistance being provided to her (by me). So, there is not the happy ending I hoped for (including her enjoying opportunities to socialize). But the guilt I feel is getting lighter.

- More shooting stars!! The Perseid Showers just took place last week, and I went out a couple of nights to watch. I didn't lie  down, so it was hard on the neck, but in the brief time I watched, I got to see three more meteors blaze out - nice bright ones. I enjoyed those moments, but I equally enjoyed just looking at the stars in the night sky and thinking about our miraculous orb in the vast universe. It gives me such a sense of wonder and awe and peace.

*****

In the "Other Things" category, I seem to be coming across weird things in the news lately. Like this piece about sharks testing positive for cocaine in Brazil. Aren't sharks highstrung enough without drugs in their systems??

And I stumbled across this poem by Sara Teasdale recently. She wrote it during WWI, but it feels as timely today as it must have done then. I've had the tab open in my browser for over a week, waiting to post about it, and even seeing the tab showing the first line of the poem brings me a sense of calm and hope, despite the state of the world. I wish I had written anything so beautiful in my own life, and will continue to try. Here is the original version referred to in the Wikipedia article at the link:

"There Will Come Soft Rains"

     - Sara Teasdale

There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
And swallows calling with their shimmering sound;

And frogs in the pools singing at night,
And wild plum-trees in tremulous white;

Robins will wear their feathery fire
Whistling their whims on a low fence-wire;

And not one will know of the war, not one
Will care at last when it is done.

Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree
If mankind perished utterly;

And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn,
Would scarcely know that we were gone.


*****

I wish you soft rains, and the smell of the ground, and all comforting things this week, especially if you are having a difficult time, whether it's from anxiety, or stress, or ill health, or loss. 






 

34 comments:

  1. Yes, we all want just what we want, but we don't all always get just that, do we? Perhaps things will improve with time.
    I missed the meteor showers, but one night about a month ago I was outside waiting for the ISS to fly over and a big, bright meteor flashed across the sky.
    The poem is a great reminder that there are bigger things than our daily concerns, for whatever that is worth...
    It's good to hear from you again, and I hope the weather improves a bit.

    -Doug in Sugar Pine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your first sentence just added a new layer to my understanding of the situation. Believe it or not, that hadn't entered my mind until you wrote it. You're right; of course we don't have things our way all of the time; my mom is just experiencing that now after many years of controlling her life tightly. Actually, it also applies to me - I have to accept I can't get what I want in this situation, too - I'd like Mom to be happy, but it probably isn't going to happen. I'm amazed I wasn't looking at this aspect before.

      It's cool to see meteors when they're not at a time of high visibility - makes them even more special, somehow. Of all the places in the sky our eyes could be . . .

      Delete
  2. We are having rains, not so soft.....we need sun!! ..and clear skies to see the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your support group meeting epiphany enabled a likewise epiphany for me, just now. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it helped. I seem to miss the most obvious things at times; it helps to get other perspectives.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you're shedding guilt, because you've done so much for your mother. Nothing to feel guilty about. Now you need to center yourself, if you don't mind my butting in to say so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara Teasdale was a fine American poet!
    It's good you have a support group to help you sort out your mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Sara Teasdale's name from English classes in school, but I don't recall which poems. I should do some searching online. And yes, the support group has been a tremendous help. The facilitator is excellent too.

      Delete
  6. You cover a lot of territory in this post. You have done the right thing for your mother. As long as you know that things are fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps to be reminded, as my brain tends to go in circles without getting anywhere when I have no one to discuss my thoughts with :)

      Delete
  7. Lovely poem - thank you for sharing it.
    My late mother-in-law in her later years was never happy once she'd got what she thought she wanted and always wanted to go back to what she had complained about before. Dementia is a devil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've highlighted a nuance I tend to forget when I'm so closely involved. I see Mom's underlying personality and sometimes chalk up all the problems to that. But dementia definitely compounds it, and I need to remember that. I swear, some days, my brain just feels so stuffed I can't keep everything in it, something is always falling out :)

      Delete
  8. It's good to discover that your mother is only happy when doing what she wants when and where she wants, so you don't need to feel guilty that she isn't happy in the nursing home, and as the dementia progresses, she will forget that she isn't "home" and will also be safer in the home where there are more people looking out for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your're right, River. That was a fortunate discovery and it has helped me accept her unhappiness. I hope you're also right that she will eventually forget "home" and see the nursing home as her safe place.

      Delete
  9. It is good to hear you are letting go of guilt regarding your mother. Life is short and you have much joy to embrace in your own life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a relief to not have to feel so guilty. Honestly, I am so tired right now. And I do see my life slipping away as I wrestle with these issues, and I am sad about that. Maybe now I can start to focus more on other things. Thank you for the reminder.

      Delete
  10. Ray Bradbury borrowed the title of that poem for one of his stories in "The Martian Chronicles," which was written back in the '50s. The story is about an automated house that continues functioning on its own after humanity has been exterminated in a nuclear war. (So you can see the relationship to the Teasdale poem.) It's one of my favorite Bradbury stories!

    I completely understand your desire to follow up on the dog, but it might be best to just say to yourself that you've done your part. If the experts decided to leave the dog with its owners then they determined that was the best thing for all involved.

    As for your mom, that is a very interesting observation, about her underlying happiness. Again, given the circumstances, I think you have to just believe you've done all you can do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'll have to find that short story! I like science fiction. Wonder if it's online anywhere? I will check.

      Okay, I like your take on the dog issue. That helps to ease my mind. And you're right about the mom issue. There's a definite parallel there :)

      Delete
    2. Well I found the story - set in early August of 2026! That's kind of mind-blowing, isn't it?!

      Delete
  11. Wanting to be the master of her own life - even when incapable of doing so / only doing so at the expens of other peoples' time and work - this description of your mother fits mine to a T (only not as hard it by dementia yet), so thanks a load for this description and preparation.
    No, our mothers will never be happy, and may we learn to make do with less and in good grace 'stretch out our hands, and let someone else dress us and lead us where we do not want to go' when that time comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry your mother has this characteristic too. Mind you, that spirit of independence probably served both our mothers well during many times in their lives. It's just now, when they really need assistance, that they become their own worst enemy. I like your last paragraph. Yes, let us do those things with good grace. Hugs, Charlotte.

      Delete
  12. Codex: High sharks? I think the world will only get stranger. Saw the perseids too. Hope it wasn't space debris. As to science fiction, too many warnings are turned into reality lately. However I think humans will be around for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're right. I think the same, on balance. People of science and people who want to do the right thing will find ways to counteract and reverse the damage done to the planet. That is my hope, anyway.

      Delete
  13. Codex: Dear Jenny. Think about how this planet started, uninhabitable for millions of years. The planet will eventually recover within a timespan that is inconceivable to us. So the planet will be fine. Biodiversity comes back. The problem is what do we do about us? We cannot reverse this, just slow it down and there are a lot of people who are already doing the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humans certainly caused this, especially with the fallout from the industrial revolution.

      Delete
  14. I was trying to find a good article for you, but the albino ghost redwood tree gets more fascinating every year; a tree that lives without photosynthesis but pulls very toxic heavy metals out of the ground. I think that at some point it filled an important niche and started to die out (without our interference) when soil became less toxic. It's the big picture we don't see because our lifespans are so short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At some point the sun will die and it's game over anyway, speaking of the big picture :) interesting about that tree.

      Delete
  15. I've known a few people who moved into aged care and they all eventually felt it was their home and safe space. I'm sure your mum will get there eventually. Try not to feel guilty, you've done the best thing for her even if she can't see it and doing the best for someone has another name: love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that kind thought, kylie. I hope that is true for my mom, about the care home becoming the place she thinks of as home. In the meantime her unhappiness is indirectly contributing to more unhappiness - she can't go outside or on bus trips because she is a flight risk, I don't visit often because I find it hard to deal with the continual request to go home, and I am having a struggle taking her things to make her space homier because she doesn't want "more stuff to pack" when she goes home ... but maybe time is the only answer.

      Delete
  16. Thank you for the poem - it's very comforting. And I'm glad you've discovered some comfort in your new view of your mother's mental state, too. Even if she's never "happy" in her new surroundings, at least you've got a bit of perspective; and the knowledge that no matter how she may react, you've done your best for her.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm trying desperately to catch up on my blog reading and work is riding me hard. It's good to hear the guilt is draining way. Yes, it's likely your mother was not a happy person, so nothing will be right which is not "her way or the highway." You've done the best thing.

    I saw a meteor once, it was splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've read that Teasdale poem before and I love it. Teasdale won the Pulitzer Prize in 1918 for one of her collections of poetry. She committed suicide when she was 48. She had kind of an odd history with fellow poet Vachel Lindsay. He committed suicide at age 52 by drinking lye. They were a sad pair.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Reading how impossible it is to make your mom happy make me feel uncomfortable honestly dear Jenny. I have seen few people who are difficult to be around because they are unhappy mostly. I wish her peace and calm!
    Thanks for such lovely poem .i can relate to the feeling poem brought you:)
    Hugs and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled.