Pages

Tuesday 23 July 2024

Three Itsy Bitsy Miracles. Maybe Four.

The oppressive heat and humidity have finally broken - for now, anyway - and life seems bearable again.

Three weeks of daytime highs in the mid 30s C (90s F) and the humidity making it feel like high 30s (over 100F), with the humidity continuing overnight and making it hard to cool the house naturally, and, well, I wasn't doing much beyond surviving.

I realize those temperatures sound very tolerable to folks living in southern USA, Australia, or southern Asia, but I am prone to overheating and fainting when it gets that hot. It was that way even before I gained weight. I can remember "laying out" in the sun to get a tan when I was 17 years old and 90 pounds soaking wet, before we knew about skin cancer, and after fifteen or twenty minutes I had had enough. As I got up to go inside the house, I became very dizzy and my vision went dim. I didn't black out, but it was close. I have also been close to fainting at work after just walking from the car to the office. If I had not lain down on the dusty floor in my office clothes with a cold wet towel on my head, I'd have been a goner. (I say this as someone who has fainted on other occasions. I know the progression, and this was a close one.)

As my husband used to tease me, I am clearly "a delicate flower".

Ha.

Ha.

Ha.  

Thank you for all your comments on my last post. I needed very much to vent, and you all kindly listened/read and I appreciate it.




But just to prove that I am more than my constant complaining would suggest, I have three things to tell you - little tiny uplifting miracles on days when I felt that one more glitch would send me over the edge. The first two happened when I was still hands-on caregiver to my mom, and my stress level was constantly off the charts. The third was a few days ago. To be honest, many days I still feel like one more "thing" will exceed my ability to cope. I think I am still in burnout, but I'm hoping time will help.


The caregiver brain. I can attest this is very accurate. I have experienced everything here, to some degree or another, except the baby locks, bed sores, incontinence, and changing adult diapers. And I wasn't even a live-in caregiver, as many caregivers are. Did you know that being a caregiver puts you at higher risk of death? The National Institute of Health in the United States says the risk is 63% higher. (Link HERE.)


But I've gotten off the track, into the weeds. Again.

Here goes.

Miracle One:

Way back in winter, on a very cold evening, I was on my way to my mother's and stopped to pick up a few groceries for her. When I returned to my vehicle, it wouldn't start. I sat and thought about what to do. Time was ticking, and I had to get to my mom's place fairly quickly, and then go to work. I still have two vehicles, my late husband's SUV, which I was driving, and my own car, which was at home. I checked with the store manager to make sure I could leave the SUV there overnight. Then I called a taxi to take me home to get my car, and sat in the SUV to wait. I looked out the side window and - boom! - caught the fall of a bright meteor in the sky. I like to watch the Perseids meteor shower each August and have seen a fair number of them, but this was far bigger and brighter than any I have seen. If I hadn't been there at that moment, with nothing to do but look out the window at the sky, I would never have witnessed it.

Side note: Shortly before that, I had read that if a meteor gets brighter and larger it means it's coming straight toward you, which is not really a good thing. This meteor did not do that, thankfully. But you can bet that micro-thought crossed my mind as soon as it registered how bright this one was.

Miracle Two:

I dropped an earring in my kitchen one evening and absolutely could not find it. I checked the floor over and over. I looked under the appliances with a flashlight (lots of dust but no earring), and then dusted under the appliances because I couldn't un-see the dust. I checked the countertop in case the earring, being small, had somehow defied gravity and leaped sideways as it fell. I checked the top of my sneaker in case it had bounced back up and was tangled in my laces. No luck.

Then I tried a trick I read about when I was a kid: drop another thing just like the first thing, and watch it carefully to see where it lands. Believe it or not, this often works. I've found needles and pins and other tiny things using this method.

However, this time it failed me. The second earring just ker-plunked beside my foot.

I sat down (because it's easier to think when I don't have to stand up at the same time. Don't judge me.). I couldn't believe that the earring could just disappear into thin air, so I got up to check the floor again. Still nothing. Quelle surprise. Yes, I know the definition of insanity - doing the same thing repeatedly, expecting a different result. But what would you have done if you were me?

Finally, finally, it occurred to me to check the bottom of my sneaker . . . and there was the missing earring, stuck in the tread, which was so deep the earring had no affect on my walking and didn't clickety-click on the floor, either of which would have alerted me to its presence. 

Miracle Three:

My basement is very full of things I have not yet parted with after moving into one level of my home while my son lives in the upper level. There are dozens of cardboard boxes and a box spring and mattress in one area of the basement, where coincidentally I've had a dehumidifier running since June. It is the kind that has a container which must be emptied when full. There is a sensor suspended just inside the lip of the container that shuts off the dehumidifier when it needs to be emptied.

Somehow, some dang way, something didn't work, and the container overflowed. I didn't notice right away, not until I spotted a soggy cardboard box about six feet away from the dehumidifier. With a heavy heart I started cleanup.

People, the pool of water stopped right before it reached the edge of the mattress. A half hour of work took care of the mess. None of the contents of the boxes were ruined, even though they contained old photo albums, paperwork, and books. I could hardly believe my good luck.

***

And now for one more minor miracle, this one for you: we have almost got to the end of this post!

Except for a few funnies which I hope is a somewhat acceptable exchange for your patience in reading my extremely detailed descriptions of the other three miracles.






















That's a wrap. Almost.




I hope your week is going fricking fine, my friends 😁

Tell me how you're doing in the comments if you wish. I'm a-waiting.





26 comments:

  1. 90°F plus humidity sounds like a nightmare. I wouldn't be able to do much either. I remember that the Middle East was very hot, but the fact that it's so dry made it a lot more tolerable. Humidity is awful.

    Doesn't surprise me at all that being a caregiver increases the risk of death. Stress is terrible for health and can sap your very will to live.

    If that cat is kept in that cage much of the time, he may indeed have a good reason for smacking people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness the weather has broken and life is a little more bearable.
    I enjoyed your miracles - something unexpectedly good lifts the spirits, and reliving them lifts the spirits again.
    Loved the funnies, especially 'Do not seize the day.'
    Keep well, Jenny - you're winning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I borrow the box....and possibly the cat with it, for a bit?

    Yes, Fate does send us Cosmic Chuckles when she is having fun with us xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you've had a few small miracles - you were certainly more than ready for a little break in your never-ending stress. The flood miracle was particularly wonderful!

    Here's hoping you have some easier days soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those small miracles are life savers aren't they? I am so very glad you had them. And believe me, here in Australia, I view temperatures and humidity like that as a foretaste of hell. I am glad that you finally have some relief. And thanks for the funnies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had some small miracles, sometimes that's all it takes. The heat here broke and then came back... and some dry lightning sparked a couple of fires a ways south of here, but so far nothing to worry about. Briana has been traveling to Miranda a lot to try and get the house there ready for us to live in, and progress is being made, but it's taking far longer than we had hoped or planned for. With any luck we'll be up there before it snows again, but we said that last year also, so who really knows? The cat caught another little flying squirrel, but so far hasn't got the gopher that has dug a big hole by the spiral staircase.
    Politics are looking, dare I even say, hopeful? Yeah, I'll say hopeful. Hopeful.
    There. I said it. I'm not superstitious but may that please not jinx anything...

    -Doug in Sugar Pine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some Australians might think temps in the mid thirties for three weeks are fine bu those are the Australians who either have air conditioning and use it a lot, spend most of their time at the beach or are too young and stupid to understand that anything above 22 is too hot.

    All of your miracles are, indeed, miracles worth of retelling. I really can't believe the earring one. Who would ever look at their shoe? well, you are apparently smarter than me.

    I like carer brain, i don't like having carer brain but the diagram conveys the way it is.

    Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our weather in the south of Australia is generally a dry heat. You should hear the moans when we do get humidity. It must be so hard to cope without aircon. But you will be set for next summer at home.

    I lost my tablet stylus in bed once. I had an old one to use after i pulled the bed out searching high and low for the lost one. It turned up in the bed a few days later...the bed I had so thorough searched. I can only conclude it lodged inside a pillow case.

    I never thought of it as a miracle but our dishwasher overfilled once. Lucking I wasn't far away and I heard the trickle of water. Thirty seconds more of running water, and it would have been a disaster.

    I really like the genie wishes joke.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Separately, but all in the same day, I lost both of my favorite, earrings, worn almost every day. Now I rotate every day, because I'll never like another pair that much. At least I haven't found them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could use a 17 wishes Genie.
    Humidity should be banned, let's start a petition....
    The "I'm fine everything is fine" cat is a bit like me at the moment.
    I like your miracles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You shouldn't have swamp heat and humidity like we do, I hope it goes away and stays away.

    I'm so glad you found the earring.

    Thanks for the laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. By all means, let's celebrate life's little miracles! I'm so glad you found your earring and the water didn't damage the contents of that box. Heat is no fun, but hopefully in another month or two (I know -- a long time!) you'll be starting to cool off.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Small miracles are needed and thankfully often they are given us when we most need them.

    High humidity is a killer of people and things alike. We have humidity allrigth here (only 4 days of July with no precipitation so far), but temps steadily below 20 - yes it's summer here too, why are you asking. Frickin' not fine with me! We need an international temperature and precipitation exchange office.

    I hope you will continue to meet small miracles along you way and that you will coninue to improve in body and mind.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've got most of a caregiver's brain.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Infidel753: Yeah, that's what we always say here when discussing the weather. It's not the heat, it's the humidity! we say damply. Very damply. It's the humidity in the winter, too, actually. It makes cold temperatures feel raw. I agree about that cat. Looks like a shelter cat, maybe? One of my cats, who is also a tabby (or is it a tortie?), has the same reputation at the vet but she has lots of room at home. I read that cats with that colouration tend to be more territorial and therefore more aggressive. Weird!

    jabblog: You are so right about reliving the good moments. It put me in a good mood to write about them. Something to file away for future "down days"!

    gz: I'm sorry you need the box, but definitely you can borrow it and its contents :) Take as long as you want!

    Diane: Thanks, Diane. I am so resigned to things going wrong that I was fully prepared to have far more water damage, lol

    Elephant's Child: At least our heat waves tend to be concentrated in a few weeks and then we go back to regular programming. I think yours are more persistent. I'm so glad you enjoyed the funnies.

    Doug: I hope the fires are contained and out very soon, although it seems the last few years that is an unobtainable state. Yes to the hopefulness re political landscape! (I do that thing, too "I'm not superstitious, BUT ..." lol)

    kylie: Some folks really don't seem to mind the heat. Like you said, there could be a variety of reasons :) I'm sorry you are having carer brain too. May your brain never explode . . . to me that's how it feels, like it's on the cusp of blowing apart.

    Andrew: Luck . . . little miracle . . . same thing, I think :) Your pillowcase theory sounds correct. It's so frustrating to search and search and know something has to be there somewhere but not be able to find it! I'm glad you caught the dishwasher overflow. Water can do so much damage.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joanne: I hope your earrings turn up. Mine were my favourites, too. Did you check your shoe treads? Just kidding. I'm sure you'd have noticed by now. Maybe kitty wanted new toys? You might check her hiding spots. Good luck :)

    River: Thank you. I'm sorry you're having a rough time. I like the genies meme as well. It felt spot on. I'll sign that petition to ban humidity :)

    Mimi: At least our heat and humidity are only for a short time, relatively speaking. I don't know if I could cope with your "usual". Glad you enjoyed the funnies :)

    DBStewart: Thanks for visiting :D

    Steve: So true. But then I'll be worrying about the hurricane weather, and then the winter! lol Is there any place that has pleasant weather all the time? I want to live there :)

    Charlotte: Now that is a great idea - international temperature and precipitation exchange - I think a lot of people would support that :) I hope you get some sunny weather soon. Cloudy and gray is hard on the spirit. Thank you for your good wishes. Sending the same back to you.

    Mike: I'm sorry to hear that. It's hard to cope with so many thoughts and stresses, at least I'm finding it so.


    ReplyDelete
  17. The temp is OK but that humidity is brutal. Glad you are getting a break and you don't need to apologize for being a delicate flower. We all have our crosses to bear and if that is yours then you go, girl. I am glad to hear about the small miracles as you are most certainly deserving of them. Take care of yourself and all is well at the Shifley house.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mr. Shife: Your comment made me smile, lol. Glad everything is well at your house. Keep doing whatever you're doing :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Codex: Good. Let's hope you'll have more days like this. (Cat in box. Fantastic). A genie grants a couple, she's 50, he's 60 a wish each. They have had a hard time so she wishes for a house, with a garden and two rocking chairs. The next morning they wake up and the wish is granted. The genie turns to the husband and says you're turn. You know, I've always wanted a wife who is 30 years younger than me, he says.The wife is outraged "How can you do this to me?I thought you loved me?.The genie grants his wish. The next morning he wakes up and is 90 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I only read a few blogs and several of the writers are currently going through tough times. It gives me happy relief you are getting back to enjoying life. Keep acknowledging the small miracles. They do one the world of good and I feel sorry for people who don't recognize them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous:Been there. You're past burnout. Your body is telling your brain that there is a limit. Give yourself time to recover. Something that helped and I wish I'd known sooner: makea scrapbook/art journal with everything that was good no matter how small. Memories laughter small miracles etc. It helps.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These days we need all the miracles we can get. Thanks for sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous/Codex: Good one!

    Susan: Thank you. Sometimes when you are really down, it can be very hard to see those little bits of luck because there's so much bad stuff. I'm glad I'm back from the edge far enough to see them now.

    Anonymous: That's a great idea. (I have carpal tunnel syndrome and this kind of journal would be easier on my hand, too)

    e: So true. I'm glad you enjoyed them :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous if you want some tips (art journal) let me know

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anon: Thank you! I've since done some viewing on YouTube and that helps too!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled.