Pages

Saturday 16 September 2023

Waiting

Update - Saturday 5 pm local time:

I still have power, although many Nova Scotians do not. There wasn't very much rain here either, but there were storm surges along the southwestern coast. New Brunswick seems to be bearing the worst of the storm.

The wind is picking up here, but in bygone years, this would just be a windy day for us. However, we'll see what tonight brings. The weather watch says: "Lee will continue to impact the region tonight with rain or showers, strong winds, and high waves along the Atlantic coast."


It's hurricane season again - check out this post if you want a refresher on what happened last year in my region - and tonight folks are bracing for the effects of Hurricane Lee on Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and, later, parts of Newfoundland.

This year, my home county should escape the worst of the wind and rain. But I feel for those living where the hurricane will make landfall (particularly southwestern NS). 

And I'm still worried about even the lesser winds and their possible effect on my patched-but-as-yet-unreplaced roof. (The new roof was supposed to happen in late summer, which I guess we're technically still in, but due to rainy weather the roofers are behind schedule, so now I've been promised "before winter".)

Since the trees are still fully-leaved, the wind will tend to cause more tree falls and therefore more damage to power lines, and power outages are expected.

So, if you hear from me even less than usual, it might be because of the storm.

But I'll update you as soon as I can.






 

18 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Good luck. I will be thinking of you - and hoping you (and your roof) are safe.

crafty cat corner said...

Luckily we do not get hurricanes here but if we did I could see what a concern it would be.
Briony
x

Charlotte (MotherOwl) said...

I hope that you AND the roof stay whole and sane in the oassing storm! And I'll wait for news of its passing.

River said...

I hope that roof gets fixed before the end of the month.

jabblog said...

Fingers crossed things will not be as bad as you fear.

Andrew said...

Brace yourself. It will be all ok on the night.

Red said...

It's a stressful time with these huge storms visiting.

Steve Reed said...

Good luck and let us know how it goes! I hope those roofers get their act together sooner rather than later...

Mike said...

Hunker down!

Susan said...

Nova Scotia has really been through it. A dozen years ago we seriously thought of moving to the Annapolis Valley. Would we regret it now, I wonder? Instead we opted for wildfires and drought on the west coast. Stay dry and fingers crossed the roof gets done before winter.

Infidel753 said...

Glad you seem to be missing the worst of it so far. I hope that continues to be the case.

Boud said...

I'll be checking back in here, and I hope you and your roof will come through fine.

gz said...

Hold onto your hat! But seriously, stay safe x

dinthebeast said...

Yeah, our roof hasn't been finished either, and they're saying El Nino is going to make for another wet winter. Right now Briana is down in Oakland working on getting us out of here before the snow starts again. Then we have to start fixing the roof on her house in Humboldt County...
I've been watching the reports on Lee and hoping it wouldn't hit you too hard, but as soon as it turned north I thought, better check if Jenny is OK...

-Doug in Sugar Pine

Diane Henders said...

I've been thinking of you since the news started tracking Lee. I'm glad to hear you haven't gotten the worst of it - here's hoping your luck holds! :-)

Marie Smith said...

We have less impact than you but the wind has been higher than usual and the rain is torrential when it falls. Take care!

Elephant's Child said...

Thanks for the update. Holding you in my heart.

messymimi said...

We've been in this situation, I do hope all is well with you.