Pages

Monday 12 September 2016

Visitors

One day last week I arrived home early from work, as I had a meeting in the evening. There had been a sudden downpour not ten minutes before, and the sky was still dark and the ground was steaming as it was a very warm day. As I turned into our street I realized there were two small deer grazing in our front yard. We have been occasionally having deer visitors in late afternoon but I am not often home at that time, so I was delighted to catch these two in broad - although gloomy - daylight.

They watched as I drove slowly into our lane; then they began to drift toward our back yard. Carrying my camera with me all the time is beginning to pay off; I turned it on before getting out of the car, walked quietly to our veranda and very quietly to the end of it in order to see around the corner ... and this was my reward:

 

They didn't seem all that disturbed by me standing there and filming them. 

The larger of the two was a nursing mother, and I assume the smaller one was her baby from this past spring - it still had white spots, although they don't show up well in the video. The doe wasn't very large, so it pulled at my heart a bit - like seeing a teenage mother with a toddler.

Other than that, I was very happy to finally capture some of these graceful, beautiful animals on film in good lighting.

Elephant's Child, this is especially for you; an exchange, if you will, for all the lovely kangaroo shots you've shared on your blog and which I've enjoyed so much. It's been well over a year since I started my quest to get a picture of some of these guys. I suppose now they'll be standing six deep in the driveway every day just clamouring to have their pictures taken ... if so, I'll be sure to document it :)


14 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

OH. How wonderful. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Geo. said...

O Jenny, this is a lovely clip. Thanks for sharing it. They are such beautiful creatures.

LL Cool Joe said...

They are beautiful creatures. We have a family of deer that live in our garden, but it's very hard to capture them on camera!

Steve Reed said...

How great that they stood still for you long enough to get such a good video! Deer are so skittish -- I'm impressed.

Joanne Noragon said...

A wonderful job of filming them!

jenny_o said...

I'm so glad you like it, EC!

jenny_o said...

Aren't they?

jenny_o said...

I understand that completely :)

jenny_o said...

I was giddy :)

jenny_o said...

If only the video was less grainy ... but better this than the nothing I've gotten before :)

dinthebeast said...

She didn't seem to view you as much of a threat, and your grass was just too good to run away from...

-Doug in Oakland

jenny_o said...

More weeds than grass, but it did seem to be acceptable :)

Margo said...

such graceful, beautiful creatures! What a gift that you were so close WITH your camera in hand!!

jenny_o said...

I felt very lucky!