Pages

Monday 27 March 2017

Poetry Monday : Unlikely Sources Of Inspiration

Thank you for your supportive comments on my last post. The fact that many people are fighting temptations and trying to live in a healthier way is not something that I was unaware of - I've known it on one level for a very long time. But, as my experience showed, sometimes knowing something intellectually is a different thing from knowing it in your bones. That's what the epiphany was about. Thank you for helping me feel less stupid now than I did when I wrote it.

Ah, the things we do for blogging. I'm actually finding that one of my main concerns when I started my blog - keeping my anonymity - is surprisingly easy. Keeping my pride is another thing altogether. Fortunately, you are all kind people. And in case any of the other type creep in, comment moderation will take care of them :)

It was a stroke of luck that I had that post ready early in the week, because a virus attacked my bronchial tubes on Monday and by Friday I was feeling a bit like stabbing myself in the chest with an ice pick just to improve my breathing. My airways are twitchy at the best of times, and respiratory viruses do not help. However, inspiration knows no boundaries and apparently has no shame (again, Walmart), because that virus became the basis for my latest Haiku.

Apologies in advance to Diane at On the Alberta/Montana Border, who came up with Poetry Monday, and Delores at Mumblings, who enthusiastically joined up. I'm sorry to lower the tone of Poetry Monday so badly!


Haiku For My Bronchial Tubes. And Cats. Because Everything Comes Back To Cats, Haiku-Wise.

As a child I barked
More than coughed. Six days ago
My dog days returned.

Talking and laughing --
The worst instigators. But
Breathing's guilty, too.

Sore ribs, sore throat, sore
Chest BARK sore chest BARK sore chest ...
Can lungs be coughed out?

Alarmed cat eyes watch.
Their thought balloons say: Don't die!
(At least, feed us first.)

Worry not, kitties.
Mr. PD's thumbs still work.
Meals will continue.

But please may I have
Just one corner of the couch
On which to expire?

*****




Hope you have a good week, with healthy tubes of every kind.

 


26 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I am so very sorry for the source of your inspiration but enjoyed it mightily (a real word?).
I am feeling a bit guilty for enjoying your tale of woe, but enjoy it I did.
And I really hope you are well on the way to a complete recovery.

gz said...

(0)

Steve Reed said...

And you know, that is exactly what a cat would think: "What about MY FOOD?!"

Have you tried an inhaler of any kind? Maybe you have a touch of asthma?

only slightly confused said...

It appears you can keep your sense of humour in the face of illness. That cat picture/caption is priceless. Feel better soon. Great poem as well.....

jenny_o said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it; don't feel guilty at all :) This has been an intense week but hopefully the worst is over.

jenny_o said...

Thank you :) Much appreciated!

jenny_o said...

My breathing was okay; it was more that I seemed to have fluid continually in my airways if I did anything but sit bolt upright or slightly forward. As you can imagine, that's not an ideal resting or sleeping position. I had inhalers a couple of years ago for a flare-up; this felt different and indeed, it is improving today. I think the virus just had to run its course. And that's more than you probably wanted to know about that.

I'm curious - what does Olga do when you or Dave are sick? Does she worry more about herself or you? For what it's worth, my cats seemed a little concerned for me after a few of my coughing fits. A little. But they got over it fast.

jenny_o said...

Delores, it's the only way I can complain without driving people TOO far away :) I love that little kitten with the attitude!

Janie Junebug said...

I love your haiku. You have no reason to apologize for it.

Love,
Janie

jenny_o said...

Thanks, Janie - that's kind of you :)

dinthebeast said...

Briana was in the sneezing-all-the-damn-time thing this week. She claims it must be allergies because she certainly isn't sick. Failing to understand the difference, I dutifully kept up my end by repeating John Cleese's admonition to reply to sneezes not with gesundheit! but instead with "Hail Sneezer!"

P.S. I like your haiku.

-Doug in Oakland

jenny_o said...

Hail Sneezer - I love it!! I feel for Briana. I think I'd rather have a cold than allergies - at least a bug is over with after a certain time, but allergies can go on forever.

Martha said...

HAHAHA! I had such a good laugh with that image. That is exactly what a cat would think :)

e said...

Oh, I love this because I can so relate to all of it! I hope you're on the mend soon and please take it easy.

John M said...

I hope you feel better soon. I admire you for blogging when you are so sick.

jenny_o said...

We know how their little fuzzy heads work, eh? :)

jenny_o said...

I was thinking about your recent bronchial troubles in the middle of my coughing fits, and I knew you would understand! This stuff is vile.

jenny_o said...

Thanks :) It was actually easier to sit upright than to lie down, and it helped take my mind off things.

MunirGhiasuddin said...

Awe- please take care of yourself. I am an asthmatic and I know how badly ribs can hurt.

jenny_o said...

Thank you ... and thank you for visiting :)

Diane Henders said...

Oh, your poor 'tubes'! I hope you feel better soon. (I admit I laughed at the cat cartoon, though!)

jenny_o said...

"Soon" can't be soon enough for me ... what a virus it's been! I'm glad you got a laugh from the cat cartoon. Doesn't he look like a feisty little guy? :)

baili said...

oh dear!
i am so really sorry for this trouble, hope and pray that problem get solved soon as hopefully you are visiting the doctor and not relying on self medicine only [like me] .

you are wonderful lady with strong and positive will as your humor gives interesting shape to your sickness .
your poetry is enjoyable.

loved the way you realized the desperation of your pet lol.
Hugs and Blessings to you my friend!

jenny_o said...

Thank you for your kind words, baili! They are very comforting :)

The Blog Fodder said...

Haiku? Hai iku too.

jenny_o said...

Ha ha! The "iku" got me good :)